My sister Paige is 28 years old. On the Tuesday, November 16, the week before Thanksgiving I got a call from my mom telling me one of Paige's friends from work was taking Paige to the hospital. My mom began to make preparations and then headed on to Mansfield. I wasn't sure exactly what to do so I waited. Later in the day she called and said the MRI showed my sister had suffered a small stroke. I didn't know any more details but made plans to head to Mansfield with the girls so I could keep watch of Isaac. We went on Wednesday morning and as soon as I dropped the girls off with my mom at Paige's house I went to the hospital. I was completely heartbroken. My sister didn't even seem to recognize me as her face and expression was completely flat. I even asked her, "Do you know who I am?" With her face still completely expressionless she replied with a nod signaling YES. Her friend Rachel showed up at the hospital the same time I did. Before she had come into the room I had asked Paige if she was on medication, yet noting to myself that she didn't have an IV or any other lines hooked up to her. Paige nodded in response NO. Rachel after soon entering the room and taking it in asked Paige the same question. Paige, if she could voice a response at all, only replied to our questions and such with one word responses. I left the hospital that day feeling devastated for her, Matt, and Isaac. Once I got back to the house my mom left for the hospital and I stayed with the kiddos. They were a pleasant distraction, especially little Isaac!
On Thursday my mom headed straight for the hospital since Matt went back to work. I knew it was going to be a long day, full of all kinds of tests for my sister, and even me with the children. My mom had taken my car so I could have the van. After we got all dressed and around I packed up the kiddos and headed to Walmart to get out some energy. We had fun shopping for my mom because it was her birthday. We got streamers, cake, and ice cream. Once we got home I let the little girls have fun decorating. The verdict was still out as to whether or not my dad would be able to make it over that evening for dinner and to see Paige. It is soooo unfortunate that he had one of his busiest work weeks that week but knew we were holding down the fort without him. I spoke with my mom periodically throughout the day getting updates. The doctors had suspected Paige might have a thick blood disease because her blood was thicker than it should have been. She had some blockage in her neck but not enough for serious concern. Her blood pressure was unstable, jumping up and down sporadically. One time I was on the phone with my mom and I could tell she went into major panic mode. I found out later my sister's BP had dropped drastically in a split second. They did ultrasounds on her kidneys and heart, as well as lots of blood tests. Later in the afternoon I decided maybe if I took Isaac to see his momma it would be a good motivation to her to keep working hard to get home. There were no restrictions at the hospital regarding visits from children. I loaded the girls and Isaac up into the van and we headed off to see Aunt P/Momma. When we got there it was again devastating and heart-wrenching...Isaac cried and refused to go to my sister. She didn't have any tubes but it was like he could sense something was a little off with the whole situation. He clung to me, turning his head and burying into the crook of my neck. I thought maybe when Matt arrived it would be better. Well, not so much. In fact, at one point I needed to talk with my mom so we stepped out of the room and Isaac went crazy, crying for us. Matt was holding him at the time. The plan was for Matt to get home, change, grab some dinner and then go back and relieve my mom to come home. The girls, Isaac, and I left, stopping at Bob Evan's to get some take-out for dinner as my dad wasn't able to make it. I got two dishes I knew my mom loved and we headed home and waited. My mom finally got home and while I can't remember the time exactly I know it was well past dinner time. I ended up feeding the girls and Isaac earlier but I waited for her. When she got home we had a great time surprising her and celebrating her birthday, even amidst this crisis.
On Friday, my mom headed back to the hospital and I hung out with the kiddos. I wasn't sure what exactly the weekend plans were going to entail for any of us so had started working on lining up a few of Paige's friends to watch Isaac so mom and I could get home to regroup. Once the plans were set for him I packed up the kiddos and headed back to the hospital. What a relief to see her smiling and putting together sentences! Several ladies from work had stopped by to see her the same time we were there. Isaac was still really cautious but warmed up a little bit easier to his momma. After we left we got some lunch and Paige's friend Rachel came by to pick up Isaac. I knew Rachel and trusted her completely with my little nephew but my heart was breaking. Unsure of what the road to recovery was going to entail, I knew I needed to get home and separate the girls and I from the situation to process and sort through the events and gear up for what would lie ahead; however, it killed me to relinquish my sister's blessing into the hands of another lady. The drive home that day was horrible! The girls were tired, hungry (because aren't kids always hungry in the car no matter that you just fed them), and emotionally as raw as I was. It was tough to say the least. We barely made it home in time to see Scott for a tadbit before he left for work. The next day was his birthday (thus the other post).
In regards to the update on my sister now, my mom has been going to stay with her every week since. Paige has been going to speech therapy twice a week. It turned out she does not have the blood disease but is borderline because of her thicker blood. The hemotologist diagnosed the cause of stroke to stem from her birth control, along with a combination of a few other things. The stroke occurred on the left side of her brain which affects the right side of her body. She is able to feed, dress, and wash herself...along with taking full care of Isaac. She is doing remarkably well and the doctors expect a full recovery, although a full recovery could take up to a year. The expected time span for functional recovery will be between 3-6 months. They have endured such difficult challenges the last two years. I can only hope and pray that their load would be lighter. Through it all though, Matt and Paige continue to rest in the knowledge that God is Sovereign and in complete control. They find their hope and strength through Him, not in themselves because they have faced just how weak they can be. If you feel the Lord's leading, we would appreciate your prayers for them. Thanks!


1 comment:
Cara,
Shame on me for I have not checked your blog for a while. I just found this post today. I am so sorry to hear about your sister yet glad to hear she is going to be ok. How scary! Please know that I am always available to pray and feel it a privilege. Anytime day or night you can call me!!!!!!
Praying as always for you and yours'
Love ya,
Beth
Post a Comment