On Friday my friend Lindsay and I canned 33 quarts of homemade applesauce. All I can say is WOW!! It was extremely exhausting. In fact, neither one of us felt all that great the rest of the weekend. We did 2 bushels of apples (Cortland & MacIntosh). We tried using the Pampered Chep apple peeler-corer-slicer but unfortunately it proved to be more of a headache than help. So, we decided to cheat and just leave the skins on (although I did still peel a lot of the apples) because we found a comment from a recipe that said we could! Cha-ching! Needless to say, we were still soooooo tired from quartering/coring apples. Poor Lindsay ended up cutting herself twice. I guess if I keep going no one will want to try our applesauce! Ha! The girls lasted for a little while in helping us. Anna announced we were doing "Food Art." Just wait until you see the pictures and her comment will click with you! ;) We started around 1:00 pm and I didn't finish until close to 11:00 pm. We tried several different 'recipes' such as
- Apples with a splash of cider
- Apples & Pears with a splash of cider
- Apples with a splash of cider, fresh squeezed orange juice, orange zest & cinnamon
- Apples with a splash of cider cooked down with the leftover orange rind
The girls had a grand time being the tasters! I think Lindsay and I both agreed our favorite is the apple and pear blend. If we ever do this again, we will either start earlier in the day OR break it into two days.
1 comment:
fun times!
Post a Comment