Thursday, January 26, 2012

Catch Up: The Cedar Bog

In late September we went on a field trip with our homeschool group to the Cedar Bog in Urbana, OH. LOVED IT!! Our guide was totally amazing and awesome with kids. This would make a fabulous field trip for any homeschool group. In fact, I would love to go back this spring!



 A bog is kindof like quicksand.  Kate was shoving this 8 foot pole down into the bog.  You can imagine since she is only 8 that the bog must be pretty 'mushy' if she is able to do this without a problem.  You can also see that the bog is deep since that is all that is left of the pole.

 Natural Beehive


My biggest regret is that I didn't record this event sooner so I remember everything we learned.  If you are a homeschooler (or even if you aren't), contact the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.  They have available for FREE incredible field guides on Ohio mammals, birds, reptiles, etc.  They are totally amazing and perfect for those hikes in the park!

No comments: