One day in early October Scott was getting ready to leave and I realized he had forgotten something so I grabbed it and ran it out to him. I was barefooted. Just as I handed it to him I looked down by the edge of the cement where the garage starts and noticed this lovely creature. Yeah...I was just inches away. I screamed and then of course ran to get my camera. As soon as Scott left I called my good friend Jacque who should totally work for the Department of Natural Resources (or be a nurse). As I am talking to her, telling her what the snake looks like and how big it is, etc. I am snapping more pictures. I just can't believe it! This baby was HUGE! We had just went on a field trip to the Cedar Bog where the naturalist told us we shouldn't kill some species of snakes because they help with mice control, etc. Jacque, although she couldn't see the snake, kept assuring me she thought it was most likely a garter snake. I trusted her and let the creature slither on it's merry way. If he was a garter snake, he was the biggest garter snake I have ever, ever seen.
CAUTION: Be prepared!! Snake photos!!
Here is some information I found from the
ODNR:
Eastern Gartersnake
Thamnophis sirtalis
sirtalis
At-a-Glance
• Mating: Polygamous
• Peak Breeding
Activity: March and April
• Gestation Period: 90-100 days; young
born July-October
• Litter Size: 10-40 young snakes; 20 average
(WHAT???? NO!!!!!)
•
Young are Born: Able to care for themselves; they receive no parental
care and disperse shortly after birth
• Number of Litters per
Year: One
• Migration Patterns: Does not migrate; year round
resident
• Feeding Periods: During daylight hours; feeding can
depend on appropriate weather conditions.
• Typical Foods:
Earthworms and amphibians (Probably feasting on all the toads around the house...not mice)
• Length: 18-26 inches
1 comment:
That makes my skin crawl. Note to self: grab the shoes!
Post a Comment